zig time background

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Grand Marshals at the Disney Parade!

Since Disney World has that wonderful promotion where people can be admitted for free on their birthday, Luke and I took advantage of it and celebrated his birthday there. We met our friends, Ben and Greta Lyn, there and had a wonderful time! Here we all are in front of the Walt Disney/Mickey statue and Cinderella's Castle (Luke and I are sporting our complimentary Mickey ears --see below for the story!!). Here are some highlights from the day:

Cinderella's step-mother is giving me fashion advice: mouse ears are fine after Labor Day.


Luke's birthday blueberry muffin


There were so many people lined up on both sides of the parade route to see the Disney characters. The parade went from one end of the park to the other and took about 1/2 an hour or so. Luke and I and one other family were randomly selected out of the thousands of people at Magic Kingdom to be the Grand Marshals of the parade. We rode in the front car that lead the character parade and all of the Disney characters were dancing behind us in the street and on floats. The blue covering that you can barely see over the heads of the people in the lower left-hand side of the picture is our car. It was so exciting!! My face hurt at the end from smiling so much!


The yellow streamer sticking out of the car is where I was sitting. Luke was on the other side of the car. The people in charge of the parade also gave Mickey Mouse ear hats (with our names embroidered on the back) to me, Luke and the other "Grand Marshal" family. This was such a fun birthday surprise for Luke!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, didn't realize you all went to Disney!! And got the be the grand marshalls!! How lucky!! Looks like you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how is ben! i have missed my neighbor and wondered how he was doing! welcome to blogging. my blog is private, but can invite you.
    rebecca zellmer atcherson

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too funny, and it was fun to hear from you guys that night! Looks like a fun time, and I'm glad you guys got to see your good friends too! Oh, and I miss Rucy dog, that smartie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rebecca! Ben is doing well. We were friends in college, but became better friends afterward. Luke and I became good friends with Ben and his wife when they lived in Savannah and went to the same church as us.

    Yes, I'd love to follow your blog...I'm new to this so I don't know if there's something I need to do on my end. Just let me know. :-)

    Katie and Jennifer, yes...we had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete